In a hot summer like this one, swimming pools and water parks are favoured refuges from the heat.
So a spate of spills of potentially deadly chlorine, used as a pool disinfectant, has got to be worrying for families looking for a cool place to relax.
The latest incident occurred this week at the Calypso Waterpark near Ottawa, where 13 children were hospitalized by a chlorine leak at its wave pool Tuesday.
The Ottawa Citizen reported the park's public relations firm issued a statement Wednesday saying the incident was triggered by a 15-minute maintenance shutdown of the pool's filtration system without shutting down its chlorine pumps. That caused a buildup of chlorine, which turned into a gas when it reached the pool when the system was restarted.
[ Related video: Georgia chlorine leak hospitalizes 70 ]
The affected children were hospitalized after apparently inhaling the gas, which triggered vomiting, choking and foaming at the mouth, the Citizen said.
"Calypso Theme Waterpark teamRead More »from Chlorine leak at Ottawa-area water park highlights chemical dangers at swimming pools