It is official, cronut burgers are believed to be the cause of more than 150 sudden illnesses at Toronto's Canadian National Exhibition.
Toronto Public Health confirmed on Friday that the cronut burger — a novelty meal made from glazed croissants, hamburgers, cheese and maple jam — were the only food consumed by every one of the 150 people who now say they fell ill after eating at the CNE between Aug. 16 and 20.
"Early lab test results indicate that samples of the cronut burger were contaminated by staphylococcus aureas toxin," Dr. Dave McKeown, the city's medical officers of health, told reporters on Friday.
[ More Brew: Epic Burgers and Waffles speaks out about health record ]
Staphylococcus aureas is a well-recognized bacteria, but it not one of the most common types of food-borne illness. Its symptoms include upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, vomiting and abdominal cramping.
The news appears to end any doubt that the trendy sweet burger was the culprit behind a sudden spate of sick fair-goers.
The number of people reporting falling ill after eating at the Ex has increased to more than 150 since news began to spread on Tuesday.
Toronto Public Health has said they were concentrating their investigation on one source, but now confirm that the cronut burger is the only food common to everyone who fell ill.
Epic Burgers and Waffles, the vendor that was selling the popular burger, had voluntarily closed during the health investigation.
It released a statement on Thursday, defending its health record.
"In the time that we’ve been operating at the CNE we have had a clean bill of health and all our staff have been fully trained in food safety. We buy our products from only the top suppliers and we’ve never had any issues in the past, nor do we wish to have any in the future," the statement reads in part.
Want to know what news is brewing in Canada?
Follow @MRCoutts on Twitter