- Text of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's 2013 federal budget speech The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Two Atlantic provinces show some interest in federal government skills program The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
Two Atlantic provinces left open the possibility of participating in a new program announced Thursday in the federal budget that would provide skills training for Canadian workers.
- Flaherty moves to lessen taxpayer exposure to housing market in budget The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
OTTAWA - Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is still worried about debt in the over-valued housing market and is tightening the rules for banks to reduce taxpayer exposure.
- Flaherty budget puts brakes on spending hoping to accelerate growth The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Highlights of 2013 federal budget brought down Thursday The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Ottawa commits to five more years of funding for affordable housing The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
OTTAWA - The federal government has confirmed it will play a long-term role in affordable housing, ending several years of uncertainty over whether Ottawa would continue helping low-income families pay for their accommodation.
- Canada to set higher capital requirements for key banks Reuters - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
By Randall Palmer OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's federal budget laid out plans on Thursday to impose higher capital requirements on banks whose failure could disrupt the Canadian financial system and economy. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty also said the federal government would go ahead with its own capital markets regulatory …
- Finance minister Jim Flaherty tweets his budget day, feds make process more accessible Canada Politics - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
The Harper government is doing something a little different with Budget 2013. They're using social media and technology to make 'budget day' a little more public friendly. [ Related: What should Flaherty’s federal budget priorities be? ] On social media, … Continue reading →
- Budget to fund and re-orient federal homelessness strategy The Canadian Press - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Calgary's mayor, energy sector react to federal budget CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- 5 items to watch for in the federal budget CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
With a need for skills training and federal infrastructure cash about to run out, here are five items to watch for in the 2013 budget. CBCNews.ca provides live coverage starting at 2 p.m. ET of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's tabling of the budget in the House of Commons.
- MP fears more federal job cuts CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Raise taxes and avoid cuts, group tells Dunderdale CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Budget watchdog's swansong is a day in court CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page is taking the government to Federal Court to argue his right to access documents, and to clarify his office's mandate.
- Federal budget likely to boost Windsor's skilled labour CBC - Thu, 21 Mar, 2013
- Will Budget 2013 be Jim Flaherty’s final budget? Canada Politics - Wed, 20 Mar, 2013
It could be a result of having to report on the minutia of day-to-day Parliamentary business or maybe it's bit of mischievousness on their part: Those in the Ottawa bubble have been known to create their share of bad rumours … Continue reading →
- New government commercial hints at what Budget may include Canada Politics - Tue, 19 Mar, 2013
- What should Flaherty’s federal budget priorities be? Pulse of Canada - Wed, 20 Mar, 2013
- P.E.I. looks to hold on to skills training money CBC - Wed, 20 Mar, 2013
- Flaherty confident about budget amid uplifting job numbers CBC - Fri, 8 Mar, 2013
Finance Minister Jim Flaherty emerged from his meeting with private sector economists on Friday insisting the federal government was still on track to balance the federal budget by 2015, despite the likelihood of "significant" revenue losses in a softening economy.
- Public sector union launches all-out attack against the Harper government Canada Politics - Fri, 15 Mar, 2013
The battle between Canada's unions and the Harper government continues. As explained by Rabble.ca, the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) — Canada's largest public sector union — is rolling out a series of videos, each highlighting services that will … Continue …
- New Democrats launch a budget campaign: ‘Canadians don’t want austerity’ Canada Politics - Mon, 18 Mar, 2013
- NDP calls on Tories for more transit, health-care funding CBC - Mon, 18 Mar, 2013
The NDP is calling on the Conservative government to fund transit, pensions and health care for veterans in the 2013 federal budget, the party's finance critics said Monday.