A person in Manitoba has died after contracting an infection related to hantavirus, a disease that is often associated with the urine and feces of deer mice.
The person's death was reported by the province on Friday. It is the first recorded fatality since 2000.
Health officials are urging people to wear gloves and masks when working around or cleaning out areas where there may be mice.
The hantavirus infection, also known as hanta virus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), is a very rare viral disease which can be fatal.
Early symptoms of hantavirus infection include fever and muscle aches, possibly with chills, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cough, which progresses to respiratory illness, the province said in a release.
The symptoms develop within one to six weeks after exposure to deer mouse droppings.