Board members for two regional health authorities in New Brunswick were announced today by Health Minister Madeleine Dubé.
"I am pleased that these New Brunswickers have expressed an interest in contributing to our health-care system by participating in the regional authority boards," said Dubé.
"Our government committed to introducing greater accountability into the health-care system by re-instating elected members to the boards of regional health authorities and I am proud that it has been accomplished."
The board members are facing some tough decisions. Last fall, the Horizon Health Network announced $4.2 million in cuts from its $1.1-billion budget. Officials have said as many as 65 positions could be lost.
Horizon operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices.
It provides medical services ranging from acute care to community-based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, with 1,000 physicians and about 13,000 employees.
Vitalité plans to shave $6 million off of its $660-million budget. More than 70 positions are expected to be eliminated.
Each board is comprised of 15 members, eight of which are elected and seven of which are appointed, as well as an appointed chief executive officer.
The board members of the two health authorities are as follows:
Vitalité Health Network:
● Paul Couturier, Edmundston, chair. (appointed)
● Adélard Cormier, Saint-Paul-de-Kent. (appointed)
● Roger Doiron, Richibucto. (elected)
● Philippe Ferguson, Tracadie-Sheila. (appointed)
● Rita Godbout, Grand Falls. (appointed)
● Gabriel Godin, Bathurst. (elected)
● Monique LeBlanc, Moncton. (elected)
● Bonnie Mae Martin, Eel River Bar First Nation. (appointed)
● Christian Mercier, Campbellton. (elected)
● Sonia Roy, Charlo. (elected)
● Paulette Sonier Rioux, Pointe-Brûlée. (elected)
● Anne Soucie, Edmundston. (appointed)
● Soeur Gaetane Soucy, Saint-Simon. (appointed)
● Tracy Peters, Moncton. (appointed)
● Donald Thériault, Saint-Quentin. (elected)
Horizon Health Network:
● David Ferguson, Fredericton, chair. (appointed)
● Linda Aitken, Upper Kingsclear. (elected)
● Mike Coster, Miramichi. (elected)
● François Beaulieu, Saint John. (appointed)
● Jo-Ann Fellows, Fredericton. (elected)
● Linda Forestell, Saint John. (elected)
● Dr. Erik Klein, Hampton. (appointed)
● John McKay, Miramichi. (appointed)
● Michael McCoombs, Miramichi. (appointed)
● Kathleen McMullin, Sackville. (elected)
● Jane Mitton-MacLean, Moncton. (elected)
● Chief Candice Paul, St. Mary's First Nation. (appointed)
● Luigi Rocca, Moncton. (appointed)
● Mary Schryer, Quispamsis. (elected)
● Kathleen Simonds, Woodstock. (appointed)