Alchemy unfolds in our bodies when we align all of our lifestyle behaviours with our fat loss goals. Our choices interact with one another to either facilitate or hinder our efforts. Diet and exercise alone won’t get our body in its happy balanced place for maximal fat loss. Looking at our lifestyle in the big picture and making changes that promote wellness and vitality will accelerate the shrinking of our bodies and is absolutely crucial for keeping weight off.
I’ve successfully worked with hundreds of fat loss clients over the last ten years, assessed thousands of food and lifestyle journals and witnessed countless successful weight loss transformations. This holistic approach works every time. Just try and you’ll see!!!
More from iVillage.ca:
- 15 Hidden Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight
- 11 Summer Foods for Weight Loss
- Our Favourite Motivating Diet and Fitness Quotes
- Which is Worse? The Summer Treats Edition
- 10 Tips to Boost Your Energy This Summer
The Alchemist Rules of Fat Loss:
1) Fuel your body every 3 -4 hours with a balanced meal or snack. Managing blood sugar levels throughout the day will reduce insulin spikes subsquent fat storage and prevent overeating.
2) Get your beauty sleep. Sleep deprivation will make our brains over produce the hormone, Ghrelin, that tells us to eat more and under-produce the hormone, Leptin, that tells us we are full. Without enough sleep our bodies produce more cortisol, the stress hormone for fight or flight response, which has been shown to promote fat storage and decrease insulin sensitivity leading to increased risk for type 2 diabetes.
3) Drink water throughout your day. Thirst cues can be so dulled that we often mistake thirst for hunger. Plus being dehydrated can make us feel more lethargic and craving a high sugar snack or caffeine pick me up.
4) Cut out liquid calories like juice or pop and limit alcohol intake to max one a day. We just don’t need the extra empty calories.
5) Avoid refined and processed foods limiting intake of the white stuff including sugar, white flour, white rice. This is a no brainer but needs to be said.
6) Don’t double starch at any meal. This includes, pasta, rice, bread, corn, potatoes, or any grain. Most people overdo portion sizes too.
8) Eat 5-8 servings of fruit or vegetables every day. Limit fruit to 2 servings. We need the fibre from fruit and veggies to slow down digestion and make us feel full. Plus it’s just good for us!
9) Limit caffeine intake to 2 cups per day. Avoid all caffeine after noon especially if you’re having problems sleeping. Caffeine can contribute to the cortisol junkie cycle so lay off the java if you’re feeling stressed.
10) Complete a minimum of 2 full body strength and conditioning workouts a week for the rest of your life! Make sure you stay active on days you don’t workout by walking, taking the stairs, riding your bike or doing anything that gets you moving. I’ve posted several workouts on iVillage already that you can do almost anywhere. Stay tuned for more to come!
Connect with iVillage.ca: