- Full coverage: Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Champion boxer Joe Frazier's big gift to Mandela recalledThe Canadian Press - 11 hours ago
- Harper to arrive today in South Africa to pay final respects to Nelson MandelaThe Canadian Press - 2 hours 57 minutes ago
- Madiba, Tata and more: a look at Nelson Mandela's namesThe Canadian Press - 18 hours ago
- The world remembers Mandela: an icon, hero and flawed humanThe Canadian Press - 20 hours ago
- Few heirs to Nelson Mandela's powerful symbol of freedomThe Canadian Press - 20 hours ago
1,985 lb pumpkin wins World Championship
The World’s Greatest Gourd Growers and their astounding, mind-boggling, Volkswagen-sized orange orbs gathered on Monday, October 14 at the 40th Annual Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off—the “Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs”—in the World Pumpkin Capital of Half Moon Bay, California.
Miller of Napa, California won the 40th Annual Safeway World
Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Offgigantic pumpkin with a gigantic pumpkin
that weighed in at 1,985 pounds. Miller took home a cash prize of
$11,910, or $6.00 a pound.
Organizers are offered $25,000 in prize money for a new world record pumpkin entered at Half Moon Bay.
A host of accomplished, grizzled veteran growers will contended for the
coveted title, the $25,000 world record prize and thousands of dollars
in additional prize money. In a pay-by-the-pound system, the winner was
guaranteed a hefty $6 per pound for the champion mega-pumpkin.(www.miramarevents.com)
Photos of the Day
1 - 3 of 6