- Full coverage: Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Though expecting massive crowds, South Africa offers few details about Mandela ceremoniesThe Canadian Press - 14 hours ago
- Paying tribute to Mandela: South Africa's long-planned mega eventChristian Science Monitor - 16 hours ago
- No tears but grudging respect for Mandela in white Afrikaner enclaveReuters - 16 hours ago
- From T-shirts to ostrich eggs, mourners snap up Mandela mementosReuters - 17 hours ago
- 3 former PMs to accompany Stephen Harper to pay final respects to Nelson MandelaThe Canadian Press - 8 hours ago
Abandoned psychiatric hospital in New York
Founded in 1912 the Creedmoor Psychiatric Center in Queens Center housed 7,000 patients, who tended gardens and raised livestock, at its peak.
By the 1980s, pastoral institutions like Creedmoor had fallen into mismanagement and disfavor, they were being replaced with prescription drugs and out patient services.
Conditions at the hospital had spiraled out of control by 1974 when the state ordered an inquiry into an epidemic of crime on the Creedmoor campus, Creedmoor's buildings began to empty.
The campus continues to operate today but with only a few hundred patients. Construction for two residential towers has been proposed for part of the site of the former hospital buildings. (Polaris)
- Yahoo News Photo By Will Ellis/Polaris Fri, 6 Sep, 2013
Photos of the Day
1 - 3 of 6