- Full coverage: Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Champion boxer Joe Frazier's big gift to Mandela recalledThe Canadian Press - 3 hours ago
- Harper travels to South Africa to pay final respects to Nelson MandelaThe Canadian Press - 3 hours ago
- Madiba, Tata and more: a look at Nelson Mandela's namesThe Canadian Press - 9 hours ago
- The world remembers Mandela: an icon, hero and flawed humanThe Canadian Press - 12 hours ago
- Few heirs to Nelson Mandela's powerful symbol of freedomThe Canadian Press - 12 hours ago
Young brown bears prepare for hibernation in Japan
Young brown bears on a hunt for salmon on a river in Shiretoko on
Japan's northeastern island of Hokkaido, October 2, 2013, in preparation
for their long winter in hibernation.
Shiretoko, located on
Shiretoko Peninsula, is known as the last of the rarely-visited regions. Most
the land on peninsula is taken by the Shiretoko National Park, which
is the home of Japan's brown bear. The park was named a World Natural
Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2005.
Shiretoko means end of the
Earth in Ainu language. Ainu are the indigenous people on the Japanese northern
island of Hokkaido and they worship the brown bear as "kimunkamuy", god in
mountains in Ainu.
( EPA/KIMIMASA MAYAMA)
- Yahoo News Photo By EPA/KIMIMASA MAYAMA Wed, 9 Oct, 2013
Photos of the Day
1 - 3 of 6