1 dead, 2 others injured in stabbing at Toronto high school, 1 in custody

·3 min read
A stabbing at Victoria Park Collegiate Institute has left one person dead and two others injured. Police have a suspect in custody. (Jessica Ng/CBC - image credit)
A stabbing at Victoria Park Collegiate Institute has left one person dead and two others injured. Police have a suspect in custody. (Jessica Ng/CBC - image credit)

A young man has died and two other young men injured in a stabbing at a Toronto high school on Tuesday afternoon. A fourth young man is in custody in connection with the stabbing.

Toronto paramedics took all three victims to hospital, where one of them was later pronounced dead.

Police said the stabbing happened during a fight on the track at Victoria Park Collegiate Institute, near Victoria Park Avenue and Parkwoods Village Drive. Officers were called to the school shortly after 3 p.m.

Insp. Mike Williams, spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service, said police believe the stabbing happened in front of a large crowd of students.

"We do believe there was a large group of people believed to be students who were in the area and we are obviously appealing to them," Williams said. "If you saw what happened or know about what led to this or the build-up to it, please contact the members of our homicide squad who have now taken carriage of this investigation."

Williams went on to appeal for video from cell phones or other recording devices.

"It would be very helpful in helping us piece things together and obviously determining everyone's role in what was a very tragic set of events this afternoon."

The young man who died was stabbed in the abdomen, while the other two were stabbed in the lower body. The third victim was located in a nearby apartment after the other two victims were found.

Jessica Ng/CBC
Jessica Ng/CBC

Williams said the three victims were believed to have been stabbed with a "sharp weapon," but police are not sure if it was a knife. Police have not released the ages of the alleged attacker and the victims. Officers are notifying next of kin.

No charges have been laid against the young man in custody. Homicide detectives have taken over the investigation.

Police are still trying to identify everyone involved and to determine if they were students.

The high school, which let out its students at 2:45 p.m., was placed in a hold and secure position after the stabbing.

According to the Toronto District School Board (TDSB), the school will open on Wednesday with a team of social workers and grief counsellors to provide support for staff and students. Police officers will be at the school.

Shari Schwartz-Maltz, spokesperson for the TDSB, told reporters the school is receiving a lot of calls and emails from upset students and parents.

"There was a lot of uncertainty about what happened," she said. "Schools are little communities. They are second homes. Everybody is going to be there to support everybody else tomorrow."

Schwartz-Maltz said the TSDB wants students to know: "We have professionals that will be here tomorrow. And that goes for staff too. We're all part of the school community."


According to police, there are no outstanding suspects and there is no danger to the local community.

A large part of the school yard was taped off after the stabbing and a police forensic identification unit was on the scene. A canine unit searched the yard, looking for weapons and discarded evidence.

Officers were trying to get security camera images from the school, and on Tuesday night, they were continuing to search and gather evidence.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting