'Completely avoidable': Police say speed a factor in fatal 3-vehicle collision

1 / 3
'Completely avoidable': Police say speed a factor in fatal 3-vehicle collision

Police are looking to speak with witnesses after a three-vehicle collision in north Edmonton left one man dead Sunday morning.

Police say the incident occurred at around 9 a.m., when a 39-year-old man driving a grey Honda Accord was travelling southbound in the centre lane of 66th Street at Fort Road. The vehicle switched into the right lane and rear-ended a black Chevrolet Impala, forcing the Impala to veer off the road.

The Accord then swerved into the northbound curb lane, striking a white Hyundai Santa Fe Sport head-on. The 58-year-old male driver of the Impala died at the scene as a result of the collision.

A 55-year-old woman and an eight-year-old girl were in the Santa Fe Sport, along with the driver of the Accord, were taken to hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening.

Speed is believed to have been a factor in the crash, but it has not yet been determined whether drugs or alcohol were involved. This is Edmonton's fourth traffic fatality this year.

Edmonton Police Service Sgt. James McLeod said charges could be laid in relation to the collision.

"This is a collision that is completely avoidable," McLeod said.

"Obviously from looking at the scene, speed is a factor. You can't sugar coat it any more than that. If you adhere to the posted speed limit, there should be no collisions. And if there is a collision it's because somebody wasn't paying attention."

Police are now looking to speak with the driver of a small, white sedan they believed may have witnessed the collision.

The sedan was seen travelling southbound on 66th Street alongside the vehicle involved in the collision, and police believe the driver of this vehicle may have information that could help them in their investigation. 

LRT service in the area was affected by the collision Sunday morning. The north and southbound lanes of 66th Street between Fort Road and the Yellowhead Trail were reopened Sunday evening at around 6 p.m.