22 new COVID cases in Singapore, all imported including 1-year-old girl

Staff Writer, Singapore
·Editorial Team
·4 min read
People watch an outdoor movie screening within their social distances during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Singapore January 7, 2021. REUTERS/Edgar Su
People watch an outdoor movie screening within their social distances during the coronavirus disease outbreak in Singapore on 7 January, 2021. (PHOTO: Reuters)

SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed 22 new COVID-19 cases on Monday (11 January), taking the country’s total case count to 58,929.

All cases are imported, with no reported local transmissions for the third consecutive day.

They were placed on the stay-home notice or isolated upon their arrival here and were subsequently tested.

“Amongst the new cases today, 21 are asymptomatic and were detected from our proactive screening and surveillance, while one was symptomatic.” said the MOH.

Two of them are Singaporeans and two others are permanent residents who returned from India.

Three are dependant’s pass holders who arrived from India and the United Arab Emirates, while one – Monday’s sole symptomatic case – is a student’s pass holder who arrived from Indonesia.

One is a long-term visit pass holder who arrived from India.

Three are short-term visit pass holders, of whom two arrived from the US and India respectively to visit their family members who are Singaporeans or PRs.

The case arriving from India is a one-year-old baby girl linked to a case confirmed on Saturday who travelled to Singapore to visit her spouse who is a PR.

The third short-term visit pass holder arrived from India to visit her son who is studying here.

10 work permit holders among cases, including 2 linked to tanker cluster

The remaining ten cases are work permit holders who arrived from Bangladesh, India, and Indonesia, of whom two are foreign domestic workers.

Two of them are sea crew members who worked onboard NewOcean 6 which arrived from Indonesia, bringing the total number of cases linked to the bunker tanker to 11.

They were identified as close contacts of an infected fellow crew member – case 588121 – who was the first confirmed infection from the NewOcean 6 cluster. Both men were quarantined on 31 December last year, and were tested during the quarantine. They were confirmed to have COVID-19 on 10 January.

A third work permit holder who arrived from Bangladesh on 14 December last year, had served the stay-home notice at a dedicated facility until 28 December.

His swab done on 24 December during the notice was negative for COVID-19, and another swab taken as part of the rostered routine testing regime on 6 January was also negative.

“However, another test on 8 January came back positive for COVID-19 infection. His polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test yielded a very high Ct value, which is indicative of a low viral load,” said the MOH,

His serological test result came back positive, indicating a likely past infection, and authorities have classified the case as imported.

“He is likely to be shedding minute fragments of the virus RNA, which are no longer transmissible and infective to others,” added the MOH.

The ministry also noted that the number of new cases in the community has decreased from nine cases in the week before to eight cases in the past week. “The number of unlinked cases in the community has increased from three cases in the week before to five cases in the past week,” it added.

On Sunday, the MOH confirmed 42 new COVID-19 cases, all imported, the highest number of imported infections since 28 March last year.

A total of 24 cases on Sunday are work permit holders who arrived from Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines, of whom five are foreign domestic workers.

99% of total cases have recovered

With 32 more patients discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities on Monday, 58,668 cases – or 99.6 per cent of the total – have fully recovered from the infection.

Most of the 67 hospitalised cases are stable or improving, and one is in the intensive care unit.

A total of 165 patients – with mild symptoms or are clinically well but still test positive – are isolated and cared for at community facilities.

Apart from 29 patients who have died from COVID-19 complications, 15 others who tested positive for the virus were determined to have died from unrelated causes, including three whose deaths were attributed to a heart attack and another four, whose deaths were attributed to coronary heart disease.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

More Singapore stories:

COMMENT: The TraceTogether affair is not just about privacy

Vaccinations begin for Home Team's frontline healthcare officers

On The Mic: Tackling addiction issues in Singapore