As many as 7,000 people who attended a basketball tournament in Oshawa earlier this month are being encouraged to get tested for COVID-19 after 25 confirmed cases were linked back to the week-long event.
The health department says it's still gathering information on the Jane and Finch Classic basketball tournament, held over five days from Aug. 3 to 8 at the Playground Global facility.
Sixteen of the 25 COVID-19 cases are from Quebec and the rest are from Ontario, according to the health department. Two of the Ontario cases are among Durham residents.
A COVID-19 outbreak was declared at the tournament on Monday.
"I urge anyone who attended the event to get tested as soon as possible," said Durham Region Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Kyle in a statement.
The venue that hosted the tournament says it is working with public health officials to connect with attendees through contact tracing.
"Sports and recreation are essential to us at the Playground Global; however, health is paramount," wrote Jamie Coote, managing partner at Playground Global, in a statement shared on Instagram.
"We are working with public health and our tenants to ensure this does not happen again," Coote said.
Those living in the Durham region who attended the event are encouraged to visit http://covidswab.lh.ca/ or call the health department's Health Connection Line on 905-668-2020 or 1-800-841-2729.