REGINA — Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says there's a kernel of good news in the province's latest COVID-19 figures.
Saskatchewan reported four new cases on Monday for a total of 253.
Four people were in hospital and two of those patients were in intensive care. So far, three people have died.
Moe said the province will be changing the way it reports the spread of the novel coronavirus by also discussing active cases — with the number of people who have recovered from the illness removed from the overall total.
"So active cases are down by 10 today from 179 yesterday — now 169 active cases today," Moe said at a news conference.
"Now that's just one day so it's far too early for us to say whether this is any sort of trend in Saskatchewan, but it is good news and it shows what we are doing is working."
Moe said modelling from Saskatchewan Health is to be released Wednesday and should give the public a clearer picture of where the province is at in slowing the spread of the virus.
He said a return to normal won't happen overnight.
"It would be imperative for us to move very slowly and very methodically when we are presented with that opportunity — to maybe remove a restriction — and then wait a period of time and watch very intently as to what happens with our positive ID numbers."
This report from The Canadian Press was first published April 6, 2020
The Canadian Press
Note to readers: This is a corrected story; a previous version said the province is only going to discuss active cases