Ant and Dec 'surprised' that 'I'm A Celebrity' returned to Wales for second year

·Contributor
·2 min read
This image and the information contained herein is strictly embargoed until 22.30 Monday 15th November 2021

From Lifted Entertainment

IÕm A CelebrityÉ Get Me Out Of Here! SR21 on ITV and ITV Hub.

Pictured: Ant & Dec.

This photograph is (C) ITV Plc and can only be reproduced for editorial purposes directly in connection with the programme or event mentioned above, or ITV plc. Once made available by ITV plc Picture Desk, this photograph can be reproduced once only up until the transmission [TX] date and no reproduction fee will be charged. Any subsequent usage may incur a fee. This photograph must not be manipulated [excluding basic cropping] in a manner which alters the visual appearance of the person photographed deemed detrimental or inappropriate by ITV plc Picture Desk.  This photograph must not be syndicated to any other company, publication or website, or permanently archived, without the express written permission of ITV Picture Desk. Full Terms and conditions are available on the website www.itv.com/presscentre/itvpictures/terms

For further information please contact:
james.hilder@itv.com / 0207 157 3052
Ant and Dec were surprised that the show went back to Wales. (ITV)

Ant and Dec have admitted they were surprised that I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! went back to Wales for a second year.

The ITV reality show was moved to Abergele in North Wales from its home in Australia in 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic and returned there for another series last year.

Speaking on The Graham Norton Show, the presenters said they were surprised to be back in Gwrych Castle – and that they are desperate to get back Down Under.

Asked if they are saddened to be filming the show in Wales again, Dec said: “We weren’t saddened but we were surprised.

"With COVID there was no getting around it.”

Read more: Danny Miller crowned King of the Castle

Ant & Dec - I'm A Celebrity: A Jungle Story (ITV)
The presenters want to back to get back to the jungle. (ITV)

Ant added: “If it has to be Wales for another series, we will do it in Wales, but we want to go back to Australia.

“Australia is the spiritual home of I’m A Celebrity and where it’s been for 20 years, and four weeks there in the sun in October and November is great! We love it and we want to go back.”

The 2021 series of the reality show was hit with problems.

Contestant Richard Madeley had to leave the show after a trip to hospital when he was unwell meant he had broken the COVID bubble and couldn’t return to the camp.

Gwrych Castle near Abergele in Conwy County Borough, North Wales, which is being used for this year's I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Picture date: Thursday November 25, 2021.
The show has been held at Gwrych Castle near Abergele for the last two years. (PA)

Read more: Ant McPartlin says I'm A Celeb could've 'easily' been cancelled if not for crew's efforts

And the show had to pause for a few days after the production base was damaged during Storm Arwen.

Emmerdale star Danny Miller was crowned King of the Castle, pipping Coronation Street actor Simon Gregson to the title.

The Graham Norton Show is on BBC One on 14th January at 10.35pm and is available on BBC iPlayer.

Watch: Piers Morgan desperate to end Ant and Dec's NTAs streak

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting