Veep creator Armando Iannucci is joining forces with Intouchables and Death Of Stalin producer Yann Zenou on a coming-of-age comedy set in the world of amateur Sumo wrestling.
Iannucci will act as executive producer and will be joining fellow BAFTA-winning producers Emily Leo and Oliver Roskill as well as Ado Yoshizaki Cassuto and Gianluca Chakra.
More from Deadline
- Vertical Entertainment Bolsters UK Distribution Slate With Quartet Of Genre Acquisitions
- J.K. Simmons Boards Dark Comedy Heist Pic 'My Only Sunshine', John Cusack In Talks - EFM
- Danny Perkins Launches UK Distributor Elysian Film Group Distribution With Backing From CAA - EFM
Also joining the team is Australian director Natalie Bailey who has collaborated with Iannucci on HBO’s TV show Avenue 5 and BBC’s The Thick Of It. Rocket Science is handling worldwide sales at the European Film Market. The aim is for a theatrical release, according to the partners.
The film follows the story of Jonah, a silver tongued and overweight kid with low self-esteem who meets Hana, a Japanese female janitor at his school – and an ex Sumo wrestler. Along with a pedantic and friendless building manager, the unlikely trio set about building a Dohjo, and training for the US Sumo Open.
American-Japanese actor Suzy Nakamura from HBO’s Avenue 5 and ABC’s Dr. Ken has committed for the role of Hana. The script was written by Brit list scribe Richard Galazka.
The film is scheduled to start shooting in Cape Town, South Africa in late spring. Casting is underway.
Best of Deadline
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon