Armed threat alert in Salluit, Que., cancelled after suspect arrested

A file image of Salluit, Que., in 2017. (Marika Wheeler/CBC - image credit)
A file image of Salluit, Que., in 2017. (Marika Wheeler/CBC - image credit)

Police have made an arrest after an alert was issued Monday for an armed suspect in Salluit, Que.

In an update on Twitter, Sûreté du Québec said a suspect was arrested by officers with the Nunavik Police Service around 4 p.m. Monday.

An alert had been issued Monday morning warning residents of an "armed and dangerous suspect" in the Salluit-Nord-du-Québec area.

An investigation is ongoing by police, the update said.

Police had asked people to avoid the area and to seek shelter. In the update, police said there is no longer a risk.