'My baby was freaking out': 911 call played in trial of father accused of killing infant

Anthony Karl Kurucz, 32, is on trial for second-degree murder in the death of his three-month-old son in 2018. (CBC, thedirty.com - image credit)
Anthony Karl Kurucz, 32, is on trial for second-degree murder in the death of his three-month-old son in 2018. (CBC, thedirty.com - image credit)

A Calgary father accused of killing his infant son told the 911 operator he "didn't do anything wrong" and was trying to calm the baby down when the child went limp and started bleeding from his nose.

On Monday, Anthony Kurucz's second-degree murder trial got underway before Court of King's Bench Justice Glen Poelman.

Kurucz, 32, was charged with second-degree murder in 2019 more than a year after Jayden Cyluck-Kurucz died.

Lawyers have indicated the accused was the target of a Mr. Big sting, an undercover operation where police befriend a suspect in an effort to get him to confess.

Kurucz was home alone with baby Jayden when he made a 911 call on April 25, 2018, around 12:30 p.m.

Prosecutors Hyatt Mograbee and Alex Russell called their first witness, Craig Moxley, the 911 dispatcher who took Kurucz's panicked call.

'My baby was freaking out'

The call was played in court for the judge.

"My baby was freaking out and I was trying to feed him, I was trying to calm him down, rock him, that kind of stuff. And next thing you know, he's blood coming out of his nose and he's really limp," Kurucz told Moxley.

Kurucz wasn't sure if Jayden was breathing but described the baby as "floppy" and said the infant's eyes were rolling back in his head.

"Is he going to live?" he asked the 911 operator.

"I didn't do anything wrong to him, I was just trying to calm him down and rock him."

Infant 'in serious trouble'

The Calgary Fire Department was first to arrive on scene.

Firefighter Nathaniel Trotter testified that when he arrived, Kurucz handed him baby Jayden and begged him to help.

"I was handed a blue, unconscious and unresponsive infant," said Trotter, who added he thought "this infant is in serious trouble."

Jayden had no pulse and wasn't breathing.

Trotter began CPR with his hands behind the baby's back and his thumbs administering chest compressions on the boy's tiny body.

'Drive really fast'

Within a couple of minutes, EMS arrived, including paramedic Jayme Erickson, who began to cry Monday when she testified about Jayden's medical distress.

The advanced care paramedic told the judge she worked to get the baby breathing. She said she heard a crackling and noticed a significant amount of blood in his airway.

Jayden was loaded into an ambulance.

"Then it's just call the hospital and drive really fast," said Erickson.

Trotter joined the paramedics in the ambulance and continued to perform CPR on Jayden until he switched off because his hand was cramping.

'I didn't want to see the outcome'

At the hospital, Trotter stayed about five minutes, he said.

"I didn't want to see the outcome, so I left."

Erickson was able to get Jayden's heart beating again, but the boy died two days later.

The information Kurucz provided medical staff was inconsistent with the baby's symptoms, police said when charges were laid in 2019.

For that reason, the Calgary Police Service's child abuse unit was notified.

CPS launched a year-long "complex investigation."

"Police believe the child died from injuries that were not accidental," CPS said at the time.