Bank Street highrise evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

·1 min read
A highrise near Lansdowne Park had to be evacuated Saturday due to a carbon monoxide leak, fire officials say. No injuries have been reported. (Stu Mills/CBC - image credit)
A highrise near Lansdowne Park had to be evacuated Saturday due to a carbon monoxide leak, fire officials say. No injuries have been reported. (Stu Mills/CBC - image credit)

UPDATE | Fire officials say the leak was traced to a boiler. The tower was ventilated so that residents would be allowed to return.

Residents of a Glebe apartment building had to be evacuated Saturday because of a carbon monoxide leak, Ottawa fire officials say.

Firefighters were called to the Bank Street highrise near Lansdowne Park after a resident called 911 to report that their carbon monoxide alarm was going off, Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) said in an evening news release.

Once they arrived, they found elevated levels of the odourless, deadly gas in the building's lobby. The levels were even higher on the caller's floor, the fire department said.

Residents were given shelter in OC Transpo buses, as well as in one of the lobbies at nearby TD Place.

As of 9:45 p.m. Saturday, OFS crews were working with Enbridge Gas to determine the cause of the leak.

No injuries have been reported.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting