Bedbug company fined in downtown condo fire

An extermination company is on the hook for $10,000 after pleading guilty to starting a $3.5-million fire at a downtown Edmonton condo building last summer.

Bed Bugs Task Force Ltd. was charged under the Alberta Fire Code in connection to the Royal Scot Condominium fire on July 12, 2011.

The company was fined $10,000.

Four people were hurt in the fire which began on the top floor of the three-storey building at 92nd Street and 105th Avenue.

Two adults and two children were taken to hospital with severe smoke inhalation with one adult and one child listed in critical condition.

Witnesses told CBC News at the time that a top floor unit was being treated for bedbugs.

Fire officials confirmed two large propane tanks were on a balcony, but would not say why.

Deputy Fire Chief of Public Safety Russell Croome will speak to the media about the fine Tuesday afternoon.

[ [ [['xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', 11]], '27013743', '0' ], [ [['keyword', 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999]], 'videoID', '1', 'overwrite-pre-description', 'overwrite-link-string', 'overwrite-link-url' ] ]