There's nothing wrong with skipping the party scene in favour of a quiet New Year's Eve, but for one elderly woman in France, the night didn't work out as planned.
The 73-year-old woman was shopping at a supermarket in Roubaix, near the Belgian border, when she felt faint and went to the bathroom, according to the BBC.
She must have been in there for a while because once she came out, staff had vacated the store and locked the doors for the night. Trapped inside with nowhere to go, she reportedly spent the night wandering the aisles of the Intermarché Super.
[ More Buzz: Meow! Cuddly cat cafe trend to hit London ]
Despite setting off the alarm, no one came to rescue the woman until about 8 a.m. the next morning, according to the local newspaper La Voix Du Nord.
The woman was shocked and dehydrated, the newspaper reported. An update to the story in French says the supermarket staff issued an apology for failing to notice the woman's presence during the final rounds before closing.
The statement says that no one came to her rescue when the alarm sounded because it was an internal alarm, indicating movement within the store, which can happen if a vegetable falls off a shelf overnight.
An unfortunate way to ring in the New Year but at least there was plenty of food. However, the woman reportedly ate nothing from the shelves.