San Diego Independence Day fireworks explode prematurely in only 15 seconds

Jordan Chittley
Daily Buzz

The Fourth of July Big Bay Boom fireworks celebration was choreographed to music and supposed to take 18 minutes

Usually fireworks go off in a choreographed fashion to put on a great show for all those watching, but a technical malfunction prevented that from happening Wednesday night.

When people showed up to celebrate the U.S. Independence Day with the Big Bay Boom celebration in San Diego they were treated to the worst — or possibly the best — fireworks display ever.

The fireworks were accidentally set off on all four barges (only three are visible in the video) five minutes before the show was supposed to start and they all went kaboom in about 15 seconds. The choreographed show was supposed to last 18 minutes.

"They had just announced that the show was five minutes away...when all of a sudden ALL THE FIREWORKS WENT OFF," reads the story posted on Andrew92106's YouTube video. "You can hear in the video if you listen closely 'It looks like the finale'. Everyone thought it was just an awesome intro for the Big Bay Book Firework show, which is really amazing each year I watch."

[ More Daily Buzz: Batman, Spider-Man fight in epic battle on Toronto subway ]

The video is shot from the party at Karl Strauss Brewing, which apparently has an amazing view of the Bay.

But not everyone liked the quick display. "I waited 3hrs in the cold and paid $12 for parking and got one little explosion? WTF," tweeted @aj521z.

The radio station continued with the countdown and played the entire Firework soundtrack only to acknowledge the error afterward.

"It shook the whole building. I thought it was a bomb or someone was shooting everybody," said Teagan Hamblin, who was visiting San Diego from Kansas, to CNN. "Car alarms, every kind of noise came on. It was really unexpected."

[ More Daily Buzz: People's confessions air in front of a million Toronto commuters ]

The company responsible for the display said it was working to determine what caused the accident.

"Approximately five minutes before the show was to start, a signal was sent to the barges that would set the timing for the rest of the show after the introduction," reads a note on the Big Bay Boom website that notes all the signals were tested prior and worked properly. "We apologize for the brevity of the show and the technical difficulties."