Montreal police have confirmed the victim of suspected killer Luka Rocco Magnotta is believed to be Lin Jun, a Chinese student who was reported missing the day before the suitcase with the human torso was discovered.
The Chinese consulate in Montreal says the 33-year-old victim, born in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, had been in Montreal since July of last year. Friends and family had lost contact with him May 24, according to a missing-person notice posted on the Chinese-language version of the consulate's website. Authorities believe that the victim was in a relationship with Magnotta.
Magnotta, 29, is the subject of global manhunt, accused of the gruesome killing and dismemberment that police believe was recorded and posted on the Internet. According to reports, the ten-minute film shows the victim being stabbed to death, dismembered, and cannibalized.
Police now believe Magnotta travelled to France over the weekend after he dumped the torso in a discarded suitcase and sent pieces of the victim, via Canada Post, to political parties in Ottawa.
According to the PostMedia News, a senior French official said he is "sure" that the suspect is currently in France. Another French police official said Magnotta apparently flew to Paris from Montreal last weekend.
Canadian officials aren't as certain of his whereabouts.
"All I can tell you know is that he left Montreal [and] he may have returned under another identify but we're engaged in a worldwide search," said Cmdr. Ian Lafrenière during a press conference on Friday Morning.
"We don't know exactly which identity he used to travel. He has three different ones."
The Sun, said Magnotta may be "possibly heading for London."Meanwhile, the U.K. based newspaper,
The tabloid claims they investigated Magnotta when he was in Britain last December after a video of him feeding a kitten to a snake surfaced on the Internet.
"We had spoken to him after running a story on December 3. He turned up unannounced at our offices on December 8 to wrongly complain we were harassing him. He strongly denied he was responsible despite being shown photos of him [on the video]," the newspaper notes.
"We warned the Met Police then of our fears he would go on to kill — but they dropped the case, saying it was outside their jurisdiction."
Following the interview, the Sun claims they received an email they believe was from Magnotta:
"Well, I have to say goodbye for now. But don't worry, in the near future you will be hearing from me again. This time, however, the victims won't be small animals. I will however, send you a copy of the new video I'm going to be making. You see, killing is different than smoking... with smoking you can actually quit."
The email was sent to police, but British officials chose not to pursue the case.