Boy, 11, dies after falling through skylight at high school in North York

·2 min read

An 11-year-old boy has died after falling through a skylight at a North York high school Friday evening, Toronto police say.

Emergency crews found the injured child after they were called to Victoria Park Collegiate Institute, located east of Victoria Park Avenue near Ellesmere Road, shortly before 5:30 p.m.

He was transported to a trauma centre.

Insp. Paul Rinkoff told reporters at the scene Friday night that based on initial investigations, five youths managed to scale the southeast side of the school and got onto the roof over the gymnasium

"Unfortunately and tragically one of the youth fell through the skylight and suffered serious injuries," Rinkoff said.

"That youth was transported by emergency run to a local hospital and unfortunately and tragically [he] has been pronounced deceased.

"We've entered into an investigation and our detectives are on scene."

Angelina King/CBC
Angelina King/CBC

Rinkoff said the boy fell about 30 feet (just over nine metres).

He said the other youths who were on the roof have been identified and some of them have already been interviewed.

Rinkoff said the youths got staff at the school at the time of the incident to call 911.

He said based on the investigation so far, it appears the youths are much too young to attend the school, which runs from Grade 9 to Grade 12.

No suspicious activity

Meanwhile, Rinkoff said the death has not been ruled as suspicious.

"It appears from very preliminary investigation … [that] it may be a misadventure," he said.

"We don't believe there is any sign of any suspicious activity tonight. Right now things just appear to be very tragic and unfortunate."

Police are urging parents with children who may have been at the school Friday evening to talk to them to see if they have any information about what happened,

Police are also appealing to anyone who was in the area and saw any youths on the rooftop or around the building to contact investigators at 33 Division.

Angelina King/CBC
Angelina King/CBC

Ryan Bird, spokesperson for the Toronto District School Board, said members of the board are at the scene working with Toronto police to try to figure out what happened.

"Right now we are also supporting our own staff who were onsite this evening and helped out in this case," Bird said.