New Brunswick issues emergency order forcing striking health workers back on the job

·1 min read

FREDERICTON — The New Brunswick government has issued an emergency order forcing striking workers in the health-care sector to return to work by midnight tonight.

Attorney General Hugh Flemming says the order was necessary because there was a risk of medical treatment not being provided and loss of life if the strike continued.

He told a news conference the back-to-work order only applies to workers in the health sector, not other CUPE members who have been off the job since last Friday.

The strike involves school bus drivers, educational support staff and workers in health, transportation, corrections and the community college system.

Flemming called the government's move unfortunate but necessary, saying the labour disruption has led to a crisis in the province's health network.

Earlier in the day, Premier Blaine Higgs took the microphone at a CUPE news conference to appeal to members for an end to the strike, but union president Steve Drost said he was still waiting to hear back fon the union's latest proposal.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 5, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting