New Brunswick reports 70 new cases of COVID-19, has 580 total cases

·1 min read

FREDERICTON — New Brunswick is reporting 70 new cases of COVID-19 today.

Health officials say 22 cases have been identified in the Saint John region, 21 in the Moncton area, 16 in the Miramichi region, nine in the Fredericton area, and one case each in the Edmundston and Bathurst regions.

The number of total active cases in the province stands at 580.

Officials say 18 people are in hospital as a result of an infection, including 11 in intensive care.

Of the 18 in hospital, 14 are unvaccinated, one is partially vaccinated and three are fully vaccinated.

The province also announced that it will lift the circuit breaker measures in the Saint John Region at 6 p.m. Friday.

In a news release, Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, said officials were monitoring the situation in the Saint John area and were comfortable in removing restrictions.

"Many of the positive cases today are from people who previously had positive results from rapid tests and were already self-isolating while they waited for confirmation of a PCR test," said Russell. "At this time, public health remains comfortable removing the circuit breaker in the zone, as those people were isolating.”

Meanwhile, Russell said the circuit breaker would continue for another seven days in parts of the Moncton region, including the municipalities of Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview. She said the other areas of that zone currently in a circuit breaker will have those restrictions lifted on Friday at 6 p.m.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 11, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting