Scary moment for Calgary family trapped in elevator

Calgary firefighters rescued a family on Wednesday after they became trapped in an elevator that was starting to fill with water.

“It was a very bad moment,” says father Alireza Tabatabaei who was trapped with his wife and two-year-old daughter.

The Calgary Fire Department received a call around 8:30 a.m. MT indicating two adults and a toddler were stuck in the elevator of a highrise condominium at the corner of 11th Avenue and 10th Street southwest.

Water from a burst pipe on the eighth floor caused a short circuit in the wiring which cut the electricity and sent water pouring into the elevator below.

Jason Li, who lives on the seventh floor, says he heard a popping sound as he was locking his door and then he noticed water coming down the elevator doors and nearby air vents.

“It was literally like a waterfall,” says Li.

Li and another resident called 911 after they heard the family in the elevator below banging on the door and shouting for help.

“I had to tell them, calm down and help is on the way but they couldn’t hear us for some reason.”

Alireza Tabatabaei says his young daughter tried to help during the ordeal.

“She was kissing me and saying,hey daddy, calm down.”

Firefighters stopped the water flow and rescued the family.

Crews are still on scene removing water from the building.

Jason Li says the ceiling on the eighth floor is falling down and the seventh floor is wet as well although his unit has not been affected.

Alireza Tabatabaei says he is not leaving the incident alone and plans to consult with a lawyer.

He says there have been a number of problems with this building since he moved in six months ago and it was only built last year.

[ [ [['xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', 11]], '27013743', '0' ], [ [['keyword', 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999]], 'videoID', '1', 'overwrite-pre-description', 'overwrite-link-string', 'overwrite-link-url' ] ]