Canada withdrawing non-essential staff from Haitian embassy amid security concerns

·1 min read

OTTAWA — Global Affairs Canada says it is temporarily withdrawing non-essential staff from the Canadian embassy in Haiti.

The move comes in response to a spike in gang-related violence in Haiti and a severe lack of fuel that has affected hospitals, schools and banks.

The government says the embassy in Port-au-Prince does remain open, but all Canadians should avoid non-essential travel to the country.

The fuel shortage has threatened basic services across much of Haiti, which is still recovering from a 7.2-magnitude earthquake in July.

The country has also been beset by widespread gang violence, with U.S. and Haitian authorities trying to secure the release of 17 members of a missionary group kidnapped last month.

The group includes one Canadian.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 12, 2021.

— With files from The Associated Press.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting