Charges dropped against man accused of disarming, attacking Montreal police officer

·1 min read

MONTREAL — Prosecutors have dropped all charges against a Montreal man accused of attacking a police officer last week.

Quebec's prosecution service says it no longer believes it's possible to support the accusations against Mamadi III Fara Camara, who had been charged with attempted murder and three other offences.

It declined to provide additional details in a short statement.

Camara's lawyer, Cederic Materne, told reporters at the Montreal courthouse that identification was a major problem in the case and that there was now evidence the alleged offences were not committed by his client.

Materne says his client's family is relieved, but he wouldn't comment on the work done by investigators.

Camara was arrested on Jan. 28 after a police officer was allegedly disarmed and attacked after a traffic stop.

Police had originally said the officer had been shot but later withdrew that claim.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 3, 2021

———

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press