Charges in west Edmonton machete attack upgraded to second-degree murder

Charges in west Edmonton machete attack upgraded to second-degree murder

The two men arrested in connection with a brutal machete attack last month now face second-degree murder charges.

The accused killers face a total of 65 charges, including weapons offences. They made a brief court appearance in Edmonton Tuesday morning.

Dustin Horsethief, 34, died in hospital on April 22, a week after he was attacked inside a suite in a condo building at 173rd Street and 69th Avenue.

Police said the vicious attack involved a machete and firearms.

Several other people were also found inside the same suite, face down with their wrists bound.

Officers arrested two suspects they said at the time were covered in blood when they stepped out of the building's elevator.

A relative who visited the hospital said the victim, originally from Enoch Cree Nation, never regained consciousness before he was taken off life support.

The two men arrested by police were originally charged with attempted murder, but those charges were upgraded.

They are scheduled to be back in court at the end of the month.