Civil forfeiture targets deny wrongdoing

·2 min read

A Prince George man and woman are denying a claim by the B.C. Civil Forfeiture Office that their two homes are the proceeds and instruments of unlawful activity.

Tyler Aaron James Gelowitz and Randi Alisia Lynn Temoin have each filed responses to a notice of claim from the CFO.

While Gelowitz's simply states he denies the allegations the CFO has set out, Temoin's goes into more detail.

In particular, she says the homes were obtained through legitimately-earned income and through the sale of previously legitimately-owned properties, and from settlements of both family and insurance claims.

She also says the $26,430 in cash found by police in one of the homes was from the sale of a car as well as legal and legitimate employment. Temoin says the same regarding a satellite phone seized by police and denies any knowledge of a cellphone or a money counter also seized.

Gelowitz continues to face five counts of trafficking in a controlled substance, along with one count each of possessing a controlled substance and possessing a loaded, restricted firearm without authorization.

The counts stem from an Aug. 1, 2019 arrest when Prince George RCMP's street crew unit executed search warrants on five homes, including two named in the CFO's notice at 2805 Parent Road and 6843 Fairmont Crescent.

During the searches, police seized 1.3 kilograms of cocaine, 0.5 kg of methamphetamine, 200 grams of fentanyl and 28 grams of gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB). In addition, police seized a total of nine firearms, including two pistols, a silencer and $129,000 in cash.

According to B.C. Assessment, the Parent Road home is valued at $442,000 and the Fairmont Crescent home at $332,000.

The CFO is also seeking $36,995 in cash seized by RCMP on the day of Gelowitz's arrest, as well as a satellite phone, a cellphone and a money counter.

Although she faces no criminal charges, Temoin is also named in the notice of claim as a co-owner of the two homes.

An arraignment hearing on the criminal charges against Gelowitz has been put over to early March. None of the allegations in either the criminal matter or in the civil matter have yet been tested in court.

Mark Nielsen, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Prince George Citizen