OTTAWA — The Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. on Jan. 24.
The Competition Bureau is appealing the Competition Tribunal's dismissal of its efforts to block the $26-billion deal, stating the tribunal made fundamental errors of law.
Jonathan Lisus, a lawyer representing Rogers, says a formal order for the hearing date will come Wednesday but that the Commissioner of Competition will have to submit its case by Jan. 13 while the companies will have until Jan. 17 to respond.
Rogers and Shaw have pushed for an expedited appeals process as they still look to close the deal by their already extended Jan. 31 deadline.
The Competition Bureau has already secured a temporary, emergency stay to halt the deal until the Federal Court of Appeal hears its case.
In its ruling last week, the tribunal said the merger was not likely to result in higher prices for wireless customers and that it was satisfied the plan to sell Freedom Mobile was adequate to ensure competition isn't substantially reduced.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 3, 2023.
Companies in this story: (TSX:RCI.B, TSX:SJR.B)
The Canadian Press