Council approves expansion of next phase of Storybrook subdivision

·1 min read

The developer of the Storybrook subdivision in northwest Fergus got the go-ahead to add 166 additional homes to the project on Monday.

Centre Wellington council unanimously granted a request from the developer that will see phase 2A of the subdivision upped from 267 homes to 433.

Managing director of planning and development Brett Salmon told the meeting the additional units fall within the subdivision's approved draft plan which includes around 1,500 homes in total.

As part of phase one, 222 units have already been constructed at Storybrook, said Salmon.

"This is a development that we've been seeing working away, so I'm glad to see it continue," Coun. Stephen VanLeeuwen said.

The additional units approved Monday include, 84 single-detached dwellings and 82 semi-detached homes.

Coun. Ian MacRae asked if the developer would consider switching out some of the planned single-detached homes for more semi-detached units and townhouses to "try and bolster our attainable housing supply."

James Bujak, with the Sobara Development Group said the company had already replaced some of the single detached homes it had initially planned for with semi-detached ones.

"Affordability is a reality that we are responding to," he said.

Bujak also said the developer intends to incorporate semi-detached homes and townhouses in the subdivision's next phase.

"I hope that when council sees us next time looking for either an expansion of this subdivision agreement or a new subdivision agreement, you will be pleased," Bujak said.

Alison Sandstrom, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, GuelphToday.com

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting