COVID-19 case confirmed at N.L. retirement home, infections jump in New Brunswick

·2 min read

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A positive case of COVID-19 has been confirmed at a Newfoundland and Labrador retirement home. 

Eastern Health authority spokeswoman Tracey Boland said a tenant of Blue Crest Cottages in Grand Bank, N.L., tested positive Wednesday morning. The tenant, she said, had been in contact with a previously reported case. 

Anyone who came into contact with the infected resident, including health-care workers, will be asked to quarantine for 14 days, Boland said in an email, adding that all tenants of the retirement home have also been asked to isolate in their apartments.

"Investigation of close contacts may include testing of individuals if they develop symptoms during the quarantine period, or about five to seven days after exposure," Boland said.

Authorities in Newfoundland and Labrador reported two new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday. 

Meanwhile, New Brunswick reported nine COVID-19 infections Wednesday — the biggest jump in new cases in the province in a week. The province now has 40 active infections.

Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell said in a news release the new cases involve mostly younger people. Five of the new cases are in the Moncton region, involving two people in their 20s, someone in their 30s and someone in their 40s. 

Two cases are in Saint John, she said, and involve someone in their 20s and a person in their 30s. The remaining two cases are in the Fredericton and Bathurst regions, and involve people in their 30s and 50s, respectively.

"We must all act like we have the virus and implement evidence-based measures such as limiting our number of close contacts, physical distancing, wearing your mask, staying home if you are sick and getting tested even if you have mild symptoms," Russell said. 

New Brunswick health officials also warned of potential exposures on two Nov. 15 Air Canada flights, from Winnipeg to Toronto and from Toronto to Moncton. Anyone who travelled on flight 8954, which arrived in Toronto at 8:16 p.m., or flight 8918, which arrived in Moncton at 11:43 p.m., is asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia reported three new cases Wednesday — all involving people who came into contact with previously identified cases, health officials said. 

On Tuesday, Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia's chief medical officer of health, reported the province's first cases tied to schools. "We are starting to see community spread," Strang told reporters. 

Nova Scotia has reported a total of 1,154 cases, 24 of which are active. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 18, 2020.

Sarah Smellie, The Canadian Press