COVID-19 cases at 2 Mount Pearl schools, as province reports 9 new cases

·2 min read
Two school communities in Mount Pearl have COVID-19 cases, according to the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District.  (NISEP - image credit)
Two school communities in Mount Pearl have COVID-19 cases, according to the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District. (NISEP - image credit)
NISEP
NISEP

The Newfoundland and Labrador English School district says members of two school communities in Mount Pearl have tested positive for COVID-19, and the province is reporting nine new cases since Friday.

In letters to families on Sunday, the NLESD said at least two people in Mary Queen of the World Elementary and O'Donel High School are COVID-19-positive. The district didn't say whether the two cases are students, or how many people are now in isolation.

Both schools remained open to in-class instruction on Monday, except for those who have been contacted by public health to self-isolate, the statements read.

Students of Mary Queen of the World who were identified as close contacts and are self-isolating will receive a learning plan from their teacher, said the district.

"There is no change in recommended COVID-19 protocols," wrote the school district, which reminded families not to send their children to school if they are sick.

If families did not receive a notification from public health by 6 p.m. on Sunday, they are not considered close contacts.

An NLESD spokesperson told CBC News the district cannot provide further details for privacy reasons.

Four of Monday's new cases are in the Eastern Health region. None of them are school-age children. One person is in their 40s, two are in their 60s and one is 70 years old or older. Of those cases, two are contacts of previous cases, one is related to travel within Canada and the final case is under investigation.

The remaining five cases reported Monday are in the Central Health region. Three are contacts of previous cases and two are related to travel within Canada.

The province also reported a spike in recoveries, 25 in total with 24 in eastern Newfoundland and one in western Newfoundland, leaving 36 active cases. One person is in hospital.

Following the update, Eastern Health advised of a potential COVID-19 exposure in Holyrood last week. Anyone who visited the inside of Mary Brown's at 382 Conception Bay Highway on Wednesday between 2:30 and 4:30 p.m. are asked to arrange a COVID-19 test.

The advisory does not apply to customers who used the drive-thru.

Meanwhile, an investigation continues into the Marystown cluster, which has 84 cases to date.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting