COVID-19: Singapore detects 17 new cases, all imported

Staff Writer, Singapore
·Editorial Team
·3 min read
People seen in Singapore's central business district. (PHOTO: Getty Images)
People seen in Singapore's central business district. (PHOTO: Getty Images)

SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed the detection of 17 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore on Sunday (14 March), taking the country's total case count to 60,105.

All 17 cases are imported and there are no new cases of locally transmitted infection.

"Amongst the new cases today, 15 are asymptomatic, and were detected from our proactive screening and surveillance, while two were symptomatic," said the MOH.

Amongst the 17 imported cases, four are dependant’s pass holders who arrived from France, India, and Nepal.

Two are a long-term visit pass holder and a student's pass holder who both arrived from India. Another case is a work pass holder who arrived from Nepal.  

Eight cases are work permit holders who arrived from Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, and the Philippines, of whom one is a foreign domestic worker. Sunday's two symptomatic cases are both work permit holders – a 31-year-old Filipino woman who arrived from the Philippines and a 34-year-old Bangladeshi man who arrived from Bangladesh.

The remaining two cases are short-term visit pass holders, including one who arrived from the Philippines to visit her Singaporean relatives and another who arrived from India to visit his family member who works in Singapore.

All 17 imported cases were placed on the stay-home notice upon their arrival here and were tested while serving their notice.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

The MOH said that the number of new cases in the community has decreased from four in the week before to two in the past week. The number of unlinked cases in the community has also decreased from three in the week before to two in the past week.

On Saturday, the MOH reported Singapore's 30th COVID-19 related fatality – a 61-year-old Singaporean man who had been in the United Arab Emirates for work and returned to Singapore on 30 January. The man had a past history of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and gout.

99% of total cases have recovered, none in ICU

With seven more patients discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities on Sunday, 59,968 cases – or 99.8 per cent of the total – have fully recovered from the infection.

Most of the 17 hospitalised cases are stable or improving. None of them are in the intensive care unit.

A total of 90 patients – with mild symptoms or are clinically well but still test positive – are isolated and cared for at community facilities.

Apart from the 30 patients who have died from COVID-19 complications, 15 others who tested positive for the virus were determined to have died from unrelated causes, including three whose deaths were attributed to a heart attack and another four, whose deaths were attributed to coronary heart disease.

Amongst the 72 confirmed cases reported from 8 to 14 March, 32 cases have tested positive for their serology tests, 28 have tested negative, and 12 serology test results are pending.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

More Singapore stories:

Double-masking not necessary, proper mask usage more important: Singapore experts

MCCY investigating unauthorised versions of ‘Count on Me, Singapore’

HIV-positive man who donated blood during circuit breaker given stern warning

COMMENT: FAS has its work cut out to woo sceptical public and make football project a success