A cyberattack hobbling N.L.'s health-care network is likely ongoing, says expert

·1 min read

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — An international cybersecurity expert says there is reason to believe Newfoundland and Labrador's health-care IT network is still under siege.

David Masson with Darktrace, a cybersecurity firm based in the United Kingdom, says it's quite telling that Health Minister John Haggie told reporters Tuesday that those involved in the cyberattack are "watching, literally, what we're doing."

Masson, who works in Ottawa, said in an interview Tuesday that Haggie's comments suggest the cyberattack found to have hit the province's IT network on Oct. 30 is ongoing.

Premier Andrew Furey joined Haggie and other officials to announce that private information belonging to patients and employees had been accessed by the hackers.

Masson says the government's pointed, repeated use of the word "accessed" likely means they can see that file logs have been opened by a third party, but he says officials may not know much else.

Furey and other government officials are refusing to divulge the nature of the attack on the health network or whether the hackers are asking for money.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 10, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting