Death toll in Kharkiv apartment building strike rises to eight

Rescuers move body of a victim of a Russian strike on a five-story building in Kharkiv
Rescuers move body of a victim of a Russian strike on a five-story building in Kharkiv

The death toll in the May 31 Russian missile strike on a five-story residential building in Kharkiv rose to eight as rescuers recovered another body from under the rubble, head of Regional Police Investigation Serhiy Bolvinov told public broadcaster Suspilne.

The last body found was that of a woman, he said, adding that there could be one more victim under the partially destroyed building in the city's Novobavarskyi district.

“The body of another victim has just been found under the rubble of a residential building that was attacked by Russian invaders last night,” the city's mayor, Ihor Terekhov. wrote earlier in the day after the State Emergencies Service reported the recovery of the body of another victim of the attack.

On the night of May 31, a barrage of explosions shook Kharkiv, Ukraine's second-largest city, as Russia targeted the area with S-300/S-400 missile systems. The strikes focused on densely populated districts, significantly damaging a five-story residential building. Authorities indicated that there might still be survivors trapped beneath the debris, according to updates from the Kharkiv Oblast Military Administration.

Read also: 12 injured in Balakliya shelling, including 8 children and pregnant woman

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine