For Lower Mainland foodies, the annual Dine Out Vancouver festival is a great opportunity to try new restaurants—or revisit local favourites. And with Valentine’s Day around the corner, it’s a great time to consider dining out or ordering take out from a local restaurant.
“For Valentine’s Day, along with our three-course Dine Out menu ($24), we will be offering happy hour from 3 to 5 p.m. (cheap tacos, wine and beer), $10 pizzas from 5 p.m. until close, and a late night happy hour from 8:30 p.m. until close (two for one appetizers),” says Michael Halsey-Brandt, general manager of Flying Beaver Bar & Grill.
This year, the festival features over 330 participating restaurants, including 24 in Richmond, and spans 31 days from Feb. 5 to March 7.
Featuring fixed-price menus, many restaurants are also offering take out options this year. There are gluten-free and vegetarian options available at some restaurants, as well as a mixture of lunch and dinner menus.
Diners are reminded that current provincial health orders require people to dine only with others from their own household, and within their health region. Public health orders also limit capacity for restaurants, so it’s even more important to honour reservations or cancel well in advance.
“We are expecting probably about one third the volume of other years,” says Halsey-Brandt. “It's even more important to support local this year in order to ensure that small businesses, along with all the jobs they provide our community, are able to weather the economic storm that COVID-19 has brought about.”
Participating Richmond restaurants are:
• 75 West Coast Grill (7571 Westminster Hwy.)
• Blue Canoe Waterfront Restaurant (140-3866 Bayview St.)
• Britannia Brewing Steveston (12240 Second Ave.)
• Browns Socialhouse (11660 Steveston Hwy.)
• Cactus Club Cafe (1666-6551 No. 3 Rd.)
• Catch Kitchen + Bar (200-3866 Bayview St.)
• Cavu Kitchen Bar (5911 Minoru Blvd.)
• Chop Steakhouse & Bar (10251 St. Edwards Dr.)
• Ember Indian Kitchen (135-6168 London Rd.)
• Flying Beaver Bar & Grill (4760 Inglis Dr.)
• Freebird Table & Bar (5991 Alderbridge Way)
• Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ (7971 Alderbridge Way)
• Harold’s Kitchen and Bar (7551 Westminster Hwy.)
• Hotpot Palace (168-7911 Alderbridge Way)
• The Keg Steakhouse + Bar (11151 No. 5 Rd.)
• Kirin Seafood Restaurant (200-7900 Westminster Hwy.)
• Milltown Bar & Grill (101-9191 Bentley St.)
• Moxie’s Grill & Bar (3233 St. Edwards Dr.)
• The Old Spaghetti Factory (110-14200 Entertainment Blvd., Richmond Entertainment Complex)
• Shady Island Seafood Bar & Grill (112-3800 Bayview St.)
• The Shoestring Cafe (180-4611 No. 6 Rd.)
• The Buck & Ear (12111 3rd Ave.)
• Yokohama Teppanyaki & Sushi (140-12251 No. 1 Rd.)
• Yuu Japanese Tapas (1118-3779 Sexsmith Rd.)
To learn more about Dine Out Vancouver, at www.dineoutvancouver.com
Hannah Scott, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Richmond Sentinel