Trump, in response to a Fox News poll showing him trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden nationwide, first suggested the network should “fire their Fake Pollster.”
In a second tweet, Trump said he hoped Ailes — who left the network in 2016 amid a sexual misconduct scandal that cost Fox millions of dollars in settlements ― is “looking down and watching what has happened to this once beautiful creation!”
Trump on Thursday complained that Fox “is doing nothing to help Republicans, and me, get re-elected on November 3rd.”
Many will disagree, but @FoxNews is doing nothing to help Republicans, and me, get re-elected on November 3rd. Sure, there are some truly GREAT people on Fox, but you also have some real “garbage” littered all over the network, people like Dummy Juan Williams, Schumerite Chris...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 21, 2020
On Monday, he moaned Fox News “is no longer the same.”
“We miss the great Roger Ailes,” he tweeted of his former ally, who advised on his 2016 campaign. Ailes died in 2017. “You have more anti-Trump people, by far, than ever before,” said Trump, adding: “Looking for a new outlet!”
Trump has faced criticism from the network’s hosts over his fumbled response to the coronavirus pandemic. Neil Cavuto this week blasted Trump’s claim about taking an unproven drug to protect from the coronavirus.
Chris Wallace on Friday also fact-checked Trump’s false statements about mail-in voter fraud. However, its primetime personalities, such as Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham, often use their shows to stump for the president. Trump’s latest attack, and his invocation of Ailes, were too much for many on Twitter to bear:
The president thinks Fox News should rig polls for him. It's utterly deranged but here he is saying so publicly! https://t.co/xBUoAPTqoC— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) May 22, 2020
Trump is more UPSET with HIS poll numbers than with the fact over 95,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus and a record 39 million Americans are out of work and struggling to survive. #StayANGRY https://t.co/xGTTxi6D2x— (((DeanObeidallah))) (@DeanObeidallah) May 22, 2020
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.