CBS said last week that The Drew Barrymore Show's fourth season would air on September 18. Barrymore and the show's producers were accused of failing to support the strikes, and she was dropped as the host of the National Book Awards in November.
Following the negative reaction, Barrymore announced today (September 17) on Instagram that the decision to air the new season next week had been reversed.
"I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show's premiere until the strike is over," she began.
"I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon," she added.
The actress originally defended the decision to return to the show in a since-deleted Instagram post last Sunday. Days later, she posted a video to Instagram, which has also been deleted, addressing the criticism she had received. "I believe there is nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it okay," she said. "I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone."
Followers commended Barrymore on her decision to pause her talk show and show solidarity for the members of SAG-AFTRA and the WGA.
"I know you had good intentions trying to take care of your other employees, but I think this was the right move," wrote one follower. "This will help everyone overall once they finally cave. I'm proud of you! I know this was a very difficult decision."
"It was a pretty baffling misstep, but I'm happy that you were able to come to a different decision," added another follower. "We shouldn't be defined by the mistakes we make, but how we move forward from them."
There is currently no release date for the fourth season of The Drew Barrymore Show.
You Might Also Like