Drumheller Fire Department responded to a call for a minor grass fire along Highway 9 near Institution Road just before noon on Wednesday, June 22. A passerby called 9-1-1 to report smoke in the area near the brake check lane, about 600 metres south of the Institution Road turnoff. ATCO Electric were called to ensure power was turned off to the transformer to allow crews to quickly put out the fire. Drumheller Fire Chief Bruce Wade tells the Mail it is suspected the fire was due to sparks from the transformer.
Lacie Nairn, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Drumheller Mail