Durham Region not headed to back to Stage 2 - yet

·2 min read

Although it’s small, the Township of Uxbridge is seeing an increase in COVID-19 case numbers. By press time on Tuesday evening, the town had four active cases, one requiring hospitalization. This increase is contributing to the rising Durham numbers that have the province on alert.

Earlier this week, Premier Doug Ford said the provincial government is “keeping an eye on Halton and Durham” regions before requiring them to regress to a modified Stage 2. On Sunday, the province hit a new record for the highest single-day increase in positive COVID-19 cases, worrying many that it was on another uptick. However, Monday saw another downturn, logging about 200 fewer cases than the day prior, with 851 single-day positives results.

Premier Ford says he will “cheer on” all regions before locking them down again, hoping to encourage everyone to do their part to help lower the case counts. Health Minister Christine Elliot notes that this surge in cases is likely due to gatherings over the Thanksgiving weekend. The holiday occurred at the same time as Toronto, York, Peel and Ottawa regions were further locked down. Minister Elliot notes “we still have to wait to see the effects of the provisions” and that this increase in cases does not accurately represent the result of adding those further restrictions.

During Monday’s council meeting, Mayor Dave Barton opened the meeting by encouraging the community to “all do our part to keep this curve flat.”

Barton also noted that, after speaking with Public Health and other townships, it appears that the virus is not being highly spread in restaurants and public locations, but rather in private residences where people are gathering with friends and family outside of their bubble, and not taking proper safety precautions.

Social distancing remains a strict safety recommendation, along with face coverings in public spaces.

Justyne Edgell, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Uxbridge Cosmos