The Town of Inuvik says an early morning structural fire caused significant damage to multiple structures, and may have caused multiple people to seek medical attention.
In a public notice posted to the town's Facebook page Saturday morning, the town said as of 8 a.m. the fire crew and emergency personnel were still working in the Wolverine Road area.
On Saturday afternoon, the town posted an update saying that residents could return to the Wolverine Road area, after asking them to stay away earlier in the day. The town had also asked that people who live close to the area keep their windows and doors closed because of residual smoke.
"Our current understanding is that there were multiple parties brought to seek medical attention for burns and smoke inhalation prior to the arrival of the Fire Department."
As of Saturday afternoon the town said it was unable to report on any additional details of personal injury.
"We extend our sincere condolences to those residents affected by this morning's fire and are grateful to our community as they come forward to support you at this time."
Community rallies together
On Saturday evening Pam and Brian McDonald, owners of Alestine's restaurant in Inuvik, put together a free dinner for families directly impacted by the fire and for frontline workers, with help from a donor.
"Some people lost everything so they have no means of making themselves supper so we were glad we were thought of to help out," said Brian.
They made a dinner of fresh white fish, salmon, chilli, fish tacos, and doughnuts.
"We're really happy to give back to the community because they've been supporting us so much," said Brian.
Multiple people were raising money and gathering donations to help those impacted. One fundraiser had raised over $19,000 in less than 24 hours to help one of the families who lost their home and belongings in the fire.
The town is thanking the Inuvik Fire Department, volunteer firefighters, and all other emergency frontline personnel for their continued service.