Eric Trump faced a wave of criticism on Tuesday after he boasted on Twitter that “America is roaring back to life” with a soaring stock market.
Twitter users immediately reminded President Donald Trump’s son of the coronavirus pandemic that continues to ravage the U.S. The public health crisis has now killed more than 150,000 people nationwide and many states continue to see record numbers of daily infections.
Today the NASDAQ closed at an all time record high. America is roaring back to life.— Eric Trump (@EricTrump) August 4, 2020
NASDAQ +0.35% 10,941 🔥🔥
DOW +0.62% 26,829
S&P 500 +0.36% 3,306
“1000 people a day are dying,” one critic tweeted at Trump, whose father’s administration has been widely condemned for mishandling the pandemic.
Added another: “There are more than 150,000 Americans and their loved ones who’d beg to differ.”
Eric Trump was similarly criticized in May when he hailed the rising stock market as U.S. deaths passed the grim landmark figure of 100,000.
1000 people a day are dying.— SarahI (@sarah_ironside) August 4, 2020
Gee, that's wonderful news for all the poor and middle-class Americans who survive paycheck to paycheck.— Nasty Woman (@HandToForehead) August 5, 2020
Must you always parade your tone-deafness? https://t.co/m1ttSk1bwC
Dude, I'm calling it now that this tweet won't age well. There's the litter matter of 160K (and still counting) dead, and tens of millions unemployed. pic.twitter.com/66q9uVHYaY— AndyPopeInTheWoods (@AndyPopeInTheW1) August 4, 2020
The stock market is not the economy.— Paul 👻 (@pablo_honey1) August 4, 2020
There are more than 150,000 Americans and their loved ones who'd beg to differ https://t.co/zORcBFxSBX— Jeff Timmer (@jefftimmer) August 4, 2020
I know 158,000 human beings who are not "roaring back to life." https://t.co/Ko7vAmLLKj— Michael J. Stern (@MichaelJStern1) August 5, 2020
Using the stock market to determine the economical health of a country is contrary. We still have mass unemployment, wages that do not contribute to a happy lifestyle of living, improper social services and a poorly trained police force.— JayBee (@jalexanderb) August 4, 2020
The stock market is not the economy moron. https://t.co/8w5FBTsDr5— Devin Nunes Mom (@NotDevinsMom) August 4, 2020
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
Also on HuffPost
This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.