The installment, titled "Death Tome," was a parody of the Japanese manga series Death Note about a high schooler who comes into possession of a mystical notebook that gives him the power to kill anybody whose name he enters in it. In the version, it's Lisa who goes on a killing spree, as the studious middle child of the family comes up with multiple, creative ways to kill off Mr. Burns and employees of his corporation Globo-Warm who have plans to melt the polar icecap.
Ultimately, Lisa's string of murders is exposed by Bart, or El Barto, who found out about her "justice spree" by reading her diary. And just when Lisa almost wrote her own brother's name in the Death Tome book, she realized she had been corrupted.
Viewers absolutely loved the anime version of the show's iconic characters and, following the episode, took to Twitter asking if an entire anime-style series could be made.
- The world's most clicked on cat--
- --is being held hostage by a gunman.
- Wait, maybe I could stop this guy. No, that's never going to work.
KYLIE MAR: "The Simpsons" 33rd Treehouse of Horror episode aired Sunday night and featured an anime version of the long running show's beloved characters.
- I was karaoke with my employer as is a salary man's obligation.
- You're stinking drunk. I'm so proud. It's the part of my job that I do best.
KYLIE MAR: The episode was a parody of the Japanese manga series "Death Note" about a high schooler who comes into possession of a mystical notebook that gives him the power to kill anybody whose name he enters in it. And in "The Simpsons" version, it's Lisa who goes on a killing spree.
KYLIE MAR: Viewers were loving the anime version of the show's iconic characters, like Lisa, Homer, Marge, Mr. Burns, and, of course, Bart.
- How did you figure out how I killed all those people?
- I found out about your stupid book by reading an even stupider book-- your diary.
KYLIE MAR: Some even said they would watch an entire series, like this person who tweeted, "'The Simpsons' in anime segment looks so incredible! I would totally watch an entire series with this 'Death Note' style of animation."
- I'm saving the world! And I can't let you stop me. I can't!
- Lisa, you're actually going to kill me?
- [GASPS] Oh, my god. I almost killed my own brother. The Death Tome corrupted me.