Fatal fire near Renfrew still under investigation

·2 min read

Renfrew – An early morning blaze Monday on a remote road in Horton Township resulted in the destruction of a residence and the discovery of one lone victim inside the structure.

According to Horton Fire Chief Allan Hall, a call to 911 was made by a motorist travelling along Thompson Road around 5 a.m.

“When we received the call shortly after five o’clock this morning we assembled at the fire hall on Johnston Road and we could see the fire in the distance and it was burning pretty bright,” he said. “When we arrived the house was fully engulfed in flames and the roof was already beginning to collapse, which leads me to believe the fire had been going for quite a while.”

When he saw the flames coming out of the house he immediately put a call out to the McNab Braeside Fire Department for assistance under Mutual Aid, and they dispatched a tanker to assist. He also issued a call to the Renfrew Fire Department to open up a water main to secure a water source.

“We wanted a good source of water and although we discovered a small body of water near the structure, we had no idea of its depth or reliability so we went with Renfrew to provide a water source for us at Scapa Tape off of Gillan Road,” he said. “Once we had a full tank of water we had adequate water resources to contain the blaze”.

Chief Cole was unable to elaborate whether or not there was anyone in the home at the time of the fire, but he did state he contacted the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office and an investigator was being dispatched to attend the scene. Under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA) the fire department is required to notify the OFM to investigate the cause, origin and circumstances of any fire, explosion or condition that might have caused a fire, explosion or loss of life.

The single storey home was constructed with 16-inch thick locked logs and Chief Cole said given the fact the house was nearly destroyed when they arrived the job of battling the blaze was less difficult had it not been so close to collapse. He said stacked log homes are difficult in terms of extinguishing the flames due to the thickness of the logs.

A member of the Ontario Provincial Police was stationed at the entrance to the home and an ambulance crew from the Renfrew County Paramedic Service was on standby. Ten firefighters from the Horton department attended the scene and four apparatus were utilized. Chief Cole released the McNab Braeside tanker shortly after 6 a.m.

Members of the OPP Forensic Unit and the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office are continuing their investigation and have not released the identity of the lone victim.

Bruce McIntyre, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Eganville Leader

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting