Father released without charges in son's fatal shooting as police await autopsy

Calgary police say the fatal shooting of a young man on the weekend was a domestic incident and have released the man they detained — his father — without charges, saying they won't decide whether to lay any until an autopsy is done.

The Calgary Police Service and EMS jointly responded to a home in the 500 block of Penworth Way S.E. in the Penbrooke Meadows community on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

A man in his 20s had been shot and died shortly thereafter.

Police took a man in his 40s into custody, saying it was not a random incident and the people involved knew each other.

On Monday, police issued an update saying it was a "domestic-related incident."

They also said they had released the person who had been taken into custody without charges.

Sources have confirmed to CBC Calgary that the younger man was the son of the older man.

The police said they wouldn't be releasing any further information until the autopsy had been completed and it could be determined whether charges would be laid.

The autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday.

Neighbour saw man being handcuffed 

On Sunday, neighbour Vince Lalonde told CBC News that he had driven past a man sitting in an SUV in front of the home.

"I looked at him and he looked at me, when I drove by. When I came back, police were all over the place," he said.

When he returned, the same SUV was parked on the lawn of the home — still running — and a man was being handcuffed, while another police officer entered the home while holding a firearm.

Anyone with information about the incident is being asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.