Father among three questioned over Sara Sharif’s murder after flight back to UK

The father of 10-year-old Sara Sharif, who was found dead in her Surrey home, is among three people who remain in custody being held on suspicion of murder after arriving back in the UK.

Urfan Sharif, his partner Beinash Batool and brother Faisal Malik travelled to Pakistan a day before police discovered Sara’s body in Woking on August 10.

A post-mortem examination found the youngster had suffered “multiple and extensive injuries” over a “sustained and extended” period of time.

Sara Sharif death
Urfan Sharif is being questioned (Surrey Police/PA)

On Wednesday evening, the three landed at Gatwick Airport on an Emirates flight from Sialkot, in eastern Punjab province, via Dubai.

Photos obtained by The Sun appeared to show police boarding the plane and taking them away in handcuffs.

They were arrested and remained in custody for questioning over Sara’s death.

Surrey Police said: “Two men, aged 41 years and 28 years, and a woman, aged 29 years, were arrested on suspicion of murder after disembarking a flight from Dubai.

“They are currently in custody and will be interviewed in due course.

Sara Sharif death
Police discovered Sara’s body in Woking on August 10 (Surrey Police/PA)

“Sara’s mother has been informed of this latest update and is being supported by specialist officers. Our thoughts remain with her and those affected by Sara’s death at this very difficult time.

“This has been an extremely fast-moving, challenging and complex enquiry and we remain absolutely committed to conducting a thorough investigation into Sara’s death.

“We will not be commenting any further at this point and will provide further updates as and when we are able to.”

Sialkot police spokesperson Khan Mudassir said the three were handed over to the Pakistani Federal Investigation Agency.

Five of Sara’s siblings, aged between one and 13 years old, also travelled to the South Asian country on August 9 with Mr Sharif, Ms Batool and Mr Malik.