The Miscouche Fire Department in western P.E.I. has been fighting a fire in a warehouse holding seed potatoes at Linkletter Farms Monday morning.
Fire Chief Jason Woodbury said workers at the farm spotted smoke coming from the roof of the 22,000 square foot structure, and traced it to a fire in the attic of the building.
Workers tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, said Woodbury, but when that wasn't successful they phoned the fire department.
Woodbury believes the fire must have started in the early morning hours, because a 2x10 rafter had burned through.
Fire crews are making sure the smouldering insulation is fully extinguished.
The fire marshal has investigated and Woodbury said the fire was started by an electrical short.
Given the value of the property in the warehouse, he said it's lucky the damage was contained to an area of about four by four metres.
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | 'It feels like a blessing': P.E.I. mother to set up recovery house in Belcourt Centre
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | 13 things you always wanted to know about being transgender but were afraid to ask